Monday, January 9, 2012

Apricot Honey Pork Chops


I was standing at the butcher counter this weekend. I do that sometimes. Ok, a lot of the time. I am pretty sure our butcher thinks I am a little on the kooky side. Its just that well, when it comes to meat, I guess you could say I am a little boring. I like to stick with chicken and beef. Maybe the occasional sausage. So here I was with my weekly stare down of the veal, lamb, bison, and pork thinking, what could I make with that? Will it taste really gross and gamey?





So I am sure you (just like the butcher) will be happy to see that I finally took a leap of faith and purchased some pork chops. I know pork is not that out there for most people but for me, it's just not something I normally do. So please, put your virtual hands together and give me a good pat on the back. It's all about baby steps people. All about baby steps.  (PS - the lighting in my kitchen is absolutely horrid at night. Ugh. Please forgive the yellow look of the food.)



Ingredients:
  • 4 boneless pork loin chops, 1/2 inch thick
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 1 large onion, sliced and separated into rings
  • 1/2 cup chopped dried apricots
  • 1 1/2 cups apple juice
  • 1/4 cup honey
  • 1 package onion soup mix 

    Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Heat butter in frying pan over medium-high heat. Season pork chops with salt and pepper; cook 2 to 3 minutes per side until well-browned. Remove from skillet and set aside.

    Stir apricots, honey, apple juice, and onion soup mix together in a bowl until well-blended. Heat in the skillet over medium heat until well blended and just begins to boil. Place chops in a 9x13 inch baking pan lined with foil, and cover with apricot mixture.Top with onion rings. Bake 25 mins or until chops are no longer pink inside. 


    Our Ratings:




    Mama F: 8 - Really wasn't as scary as I thought it would be. The pork was moist and had a good flavor. 










    Daddy F: 6 - Still a little afraid of new things. He liked the dish and said we should try it with chicken next time. haha










    Fuller Kids: 8 - Much to my surprise they both at it all up with no complaint or hesitation. Of course when I told my 4 year old it was a pig, she decided she didn't like it anymore. 








    Lucky the Dog: 2 - Thought it smelled delicious and really wanted to try but no pork and onions for the doggie. :(

      No comments:

      Post a Comment

      We love to hear what you have to say! Please leave us a comment below!

      Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
      Print Friendly and PDFPrint Friendly and PDFPrint Friendly and PDF