Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Chipotle Chicken and Black Bean Enchiladas


 Oh chipotles.  I love their smoky, spicy flavor. I couldn't stop sniffing them the whole time I was cooking this. I must admit that I am really not the most outdoorsy of people. But there is just something about the smell of a bonfire that gives me such a high.  For some reason it reminds me of my childhood and just makes me super happy. Maybe this could explain my extreme desire to own a fancy fire pit so I can just light things on fire when ever I choose. (please don't run, I swear I am not a crazed pyro!) ANYWAY - so as you know living in Texas we eat lots of Tex Mex. This is kinda my spin on one of my favorite dishes! With the beans and corn inside it is a pretty hearty meal on its own. You could also throw some rice in a larger tortilla and go burrito on your face. Yeah, that's right.


Pin It

Ingredients:

Enchiladas: 
  • 2 chicken breasts, boiled and shredded 
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 3 cups chipotle sauce
  • 1 cup canned black beans 
  • 1 cup canned whole kernel corn
  • 1/4 teaspoon cumin
  • 1/4 teaspoon paprika
  • 2 cups shredded mexican blend cheese 
  • 12 corn tortillas 

Chipotle Sauce
  • 2 dried ancho chiles, stemmed and seeded
  • 3 chipotle chiles  
  • 2 cans fire roasted tomatoes
  • 2 teaspoons corn oil 
  • 1 cup chopped white onion 
  • 5 garlic cloves, sliced
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt 
  • 2 cups chicken broth
  • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice 
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
     
    Directions:

    Heat olive oil over med heat and add chicken to pan. Add cumin and paprika and cook until fragrant, about 3 mins.  Add in beans, corn, and half of chipotle sauce. Allow to simmer for about 15 mins for flavors to blend. Mix in one cup of the cheese. Warm the tortillas so that they are easier to work with (40 seconds in the microwave is fine). Place approx 1/3 cup of enchilada mixture in the middle of each tortilla and roll up. In a greased 9x13 pan place the filled tortilla seam side down. Repeat with remaining tortillas. When the pan is full pour any left over enchilada mixture on top of enchiladas. Pour remaining chipotle sauce over enchiladas and top with remaining cheese. Bake in 350 oven for 15 mins or until cheese is completely melted.

    Drizzle a few tablespoons of olive oil into a large pot, and set to medium heat. Add the dried ancho peppers and toast in the oil until brown and fragrant. Add the onion, and cook until translucent. Add the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil, and then reduce heat to simmer. Allow to simmer for about 45 minutes to an hour. Use a blender to blend the sauce smooth.  Store in refrigerator for up to a week.



    Our Rating:


    Mama F: 10 - These were SOOOO good. They were pretty spicy so if you dont love the spice you may want to leave out a couple chipotles! But really good, the sauce is better than many restaurants.




    Daddy F: 10 - Restaurant quality! Loved the level of spice and smokiness.

       


    Fuller Kids: 0 - I knew it would be too spicy for their liking after I tasted the heat level in the spice. Will have to come up with a more "kid friendly" sauce.





    Lucky the Dog: 2 - Mommy gave me some boiled chicken - one of my favs! But said I couldn't have the "whole enchilada". Boo.

      4 comments:

      1. Love chipotle peppers! Yum! I love how everyone got to rate the recipe. So cute! Can't wait to read more posts. :)

        ReplyDelete
      2. Whaaat? Lucky can't have the whole enchilada?? LOL
        It looks so delicious, though. I love spicy food!

        ReplyDelete
      3. I love chipotle anything!! Fabulous recipe.

        ReplyDelete
      4. oh boy, my mouth is watering and my belly is telling me 'get in here now'. Love it!

        ReplyDelete

      We love to hear what you have to say! Please leave us a comment below!

      Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
      Print Friendly and PDFPrint Friendly and PDFPrint Friendly and PDF