Monday, January 30, 2012

Sunrise Oatmeal Raisin Squares


Recently, one of my friends decided that she was going to try a gluten free diet to see if it would help her gastric upset (oooo sexy talk). I feel bad sometimes because I have diabetic friends, vegan friends, and now a gluten free friend and well, mostly I just think they are weird. (ok in fairness if it is a medical reason I understand the need but otherwise, why limit your yummy food options??) Everything in moderation, right? Well, I love being able to make little treats for friends just to show them I was thinking of them (yes, I know, I am sweet. You wanna be my friend?) and so I decided to try my hand at making something gluten free for her to try out. Apparently, you have to find "gluten free" oats but otherwise, this is an ok recipe. I think. Either way it was really yummy and generally pretty healthy! Tastes like oatmeal in a cake form and well, I  guess it is!! :)


Pin It


Ingredients
  • 3 cups old fashioned oats
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
  • 1/2 cup plain nonfat yogurt
  • 1/2 cup nonfat milk
  • 1/2 cup applesauce
  • 1/4 cup vegetable oil
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
  • 1/2 cup raisins

  Preheat oven to 350. Grease an 8x8 pan. In a large bowl, mix together oats, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg. In another bowl, whisk together yogurt, milk, applesauce, oil, brown sugar, eggs and extract. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients, mix until just incorporated. Fold in raisins. Pour batter into baking pan and spread evenly in pan. Cook for 35 minutes or until golden brown on top. Cool in pan for 30 minutes before cutting into squares.

Our Ratings:


Mama F:  8- It was pretty good considering it had no flour in it! I was concerned it would taste weird but it was very moist.





Daddy F: 7 - It was an interesting texture for me. It really was like eating oatmeal, only in a cake form.




Fuller Kids: 8 - Both kids ate their whole squares happily and have requested more in the afternoon as a snack.




Lucky the Dog: 10 - After picking out her raisins Lucky enjoyed her oatmeal treat.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    We love to hear what you have to say! Please leave us a comment below!

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
    Print Friendly and PDFPrint Friendly and PDFPrint Friendly and PDF