Monday, February 20, 2012

Cast Iron Cornbread

I love, love, love cornbread. I dont know why. I feel like it really doesnt go with much except chili. But sometimes I just bake it anyway and just eat it all on its own. Or you know, with gobs and gobs of honey and butter. Or honey butter. Yum. Needless to say this craving has not gotten any better with the pregnancy. Fortunately, the whole family likes it too so win win for me! 
 




Ingredients:

1 (14.75) ounce can cream-style corn
6 tablespoons butter, softened
2 large eggs, separated
1/2 cup whipping cream
2 tablespoons honey (optional) 
1 1/2 cups yellow cornmeal
1 cup flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/3 cup sugar
1 tablespoon shortening

Directions:

Process corn in a blender/ food processor until smooth. Beat butter and egg yolks in mixing bowl with electric mixer until smooth.  Add pureed corn and whipping cream (and optional honey), stirring well.
Combine cornmeal and next 4 ingredients. Add to corn mixture, stirring until blended. Heat shortening in a 10 inch cast iron skillet in the oven at 375 for 6 minutes.  Beat egg whites at high speed until peaks form. Fold into cornmeal batter. Remove skillet from oven and pour batter into hot skillet. Bake at 375 for 25-30 minutes until golden.

We drizzled some on top to give the cornbread some extra yummy sweetness!


Our Ratings:


Mama F: 10 - I LOVE LOVE LOVE warm from the oven corn bread. And the honey and cream in this recipe just put it over the top!





Daddy F: 9 - Likes the cornbread. Gave me a great idea to use it as a topper in a future casserole recipe. Yes, and thank you honey. :)





Fuller Kids:  10 - They are their mama's babies! I think they may have eaten a whole other iron full themselves if I would have had the mind to let them!





Lucky the Dog: 8 - Was yummy. Needs to have pork crackling on it......

5 comments:

  1. Oh I like that you added the creamed corn. I eat corn bread with white beans all the time. Just love it. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love cornbread! It doesn't have to go with anything. It's just great as is :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love cornbread and cooking it in an ole Cast Iron skillet is the only way to do it. I like to throw in some cheese and either jalapenos or diced green chiles to give it an extra lil kick.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the idea of cornbread but I normally don't love to eat cornbread because it is so dry and crumbly. But, I'm guessing the addition of the cream and butter here make this moist and perfect. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I love cornbread (and honey butter!) and I love my cast iron skillet! Seems like the perfect recipe if you ask me...

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear what you have to say! Please leave us a comment below!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Print Friendly and PDFPrint Friendly and PDFPrint Friendly and PDF