Sunday, August 26, 2012

Double Duty Chicken Fajitas for #Sunday Supper



For many in my hometown, tonight will be a night of last summer fun as the sun sets on back to school eve. The kids have all their school supplies organized in their bags and tomorrow's painstakingly picked outfit waiting to be admired by all their friends. Moms and Dads are full of mixed emotions of anxiousness, sadness, and complete glee that their little ones will soon be out of their hair for 40 hours a week.

We are not like that family. We have chosen to homeschool. Tonight when my children go to bed tomorrow will be just another Monday filled with a love for learning. Sometimes I wonder what it would be like to send my children to a public school. I question myself daily on if I am doing the right thing. But in the end my heart always knows the answer for us is yes.

No matter what kind of school year you are looking forward to, the truth is you are busy. Summer is dwindling down and we as parents are expected to put back on our many hats and wear them not only well but remain looking good while doing so!

One of my favorite ways to cut back time on busy weeknight meals is to plan meals in the same week that consist of the same ingredients. This week I decided to use chicken fajita meat. On Monday I cooked 6 chicken breasts on the grill with fajita seasonings and then divided them up into 3 sandwich bags in the fridge. From those I was able to make a couple family meals for dinner and prepare a chicken fajita salad for Daddy F to take to work!



Meal 1: Chicken Fajita Enchiladas

Ingredients:
  • 2 cooked chicken fajita breasts, shredded 
  • 2 tablespoons canola oil
  • 1/2 cup onion, chopped
  • 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
  • 1 can (15 oz) your favorite enchilada sauce (or if you enjoy chipotle spice try my homemade recipe found here) reserve 3 tablespoons for the sauce
  • 1 1/2 cups grated Mexican cheese blend
  • 6 corn tortillas
Sauce:
  •  3 tablespoons enchilada sauce
  • 3/4 cup salsa verde
  • 1/2 cup sour cream
Directions:
Pre-heat oven to 350F. Heat oil in pan over medium heat. Add in chicken, onion, and garlic and cook until translucent and fragrant, about 3 mins being careful not to let garlic burn. Add in half of enchilada sauce and let simmer about 10 mins. While it is cooking grease an 8X8 baking dish. Pour a small amount of enchilada sauce into the bottom, just enough to cover.  Add in 1/2 cup of shredded cheese to the chicken mixture. Warm tortillas in the microwave for 30 seconds. Place about 1/4 cup of chicken mixture into the middle of each tortilla and roll up. Place seam side down into the dish. Pour any leftover chicken and enchilada sauce on top of enchiladas. Sprinkle remaining 1 cup of shredded cheese over top and bake for 20 mins, until cheese is melted.

For the sauce combine all ingredients in a small saucepan. Mix well and heat through. Serve over cooked enchiladas.



Meal #2: Chicken Fajita Nachos Supreme

Ingredients:
  • 2 cooked chicken fajita breasts roughly chopped
  • tortilla chips
  • 1 can refried beans (or try my no fried crock pot beans)
  • shredded mexican blend cheese
  • pico de gallo
  • sour cream
  • quacamole
Directions:

Pre-heat oven to 350F. Layer tortilla chips on a foil lined baking sheet.  Spread beans on top of chips. Then layer the chicken and cheese until the chicken is all gone. Bake in oven for about 15 mins or until cheese is melted. Top with generous portions of pico, sour cream, and guac! Yum!! We have this meal at least once a week in our house!

If you would like to see some other quick and easy back to school meals, check out the recipes from my fellow #sundaysupper bloggers!

Please be sure you join us on Twitter throughout the day on Sunday. We’ll be meeting up at 7:00 p.m. EST for our weekly #SundaySupper live chat where we’ll talk about Back to School Meals and ways to make meal time easier!
All you have to do is follow the #SundaySupper hashtag, or you can follow us through TweetChat! We’ll be sharing great recipes and tips all afternoon, and we’ll be talking all things Back to School Meals during our chat!
We’d also love to feature your Back to School Recipes on our #SundaySupper Pinterest board and share them with all of our followers!

29 comments:

  1. Such great ideas stemmed from one chicken dish!!! LOVE these yummy dishes :) Happy #SundaySupper~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great double-duty dish and I love the Mexican flavours! This will definitely be on my weeknight menu list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! This is such a lovely blog! We love Mexican meals in our house, and I can imagine a vegetarian version of this. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice to have a double-duty menu plan. Great recipe and thanks for sharing for #SundaySupper

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such delicious layers of yummy! Great idea to use the chicken for so many different meals. Happy sunday to you all!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So smart of you to make extra chicken early in the week for multiple meals. Dying to try your nofried crock pot beans!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great idea these both sound delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love chicken enchiladas and I love chicken fajitas so this post is right up my alley. We don't have kids yet but I've always wondered about home schooling. I don't know if I could do it but it sounds like something I really be interested in. I just don't know if I could handle the math haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Angie there are so many resources out there for homeschooling! This is our first technical year as my oldest is only 5 but we are excited or our new adventure!

      Delete
  9. LOVE the double duty recipe! We do this all the time and we'll definitely be trying both of these at our table! YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love that you planned this to be used for two meals! Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  11. We're homeschoolers too! We've been for a long time and it's been the best thing ever for us. Your recipes are great...even cooler that you shared two ways to do enjoy this chicken. Such a timesaver!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Double duty dish is ok in my book anytime! I love that they are two completely different dishes with two completely different flavors! thanks for the time saving idea!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my goodness, both of these dishes look absolutely incredible! Especially the nachos - I have a weak spot for them. I'm definitely going to try these.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love cooking one night for two meals! One of my favorite things to do. Both your recipes look delish!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love it! thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love these double-duty meals. Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  17. We are also a homeschooling family! Thank heavens! But even with homeschooling, the weekdays can still get crazy-busy. I love the fajitas!

    ReplyDelete
  18. My mouth is absolutely watering looking at both of those plates. I don't know how you can home school (though I think it's amazing and entirely admirable), I look forward to my few quiet hours a couple of times a week when the house is empty except for myself and the cat. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm really taking advantage of making dinners that serve as multi-purpose meals! Love the idea here. Good for you for home schooling, I admire that BIG time. Happy Sunday Supper Momma!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Those nachos are screaming my name! I'm going to have to make them soon.

    ReplyDelete
  21. These look so easy and so good. Now I am really craving some nachos. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love double duty meals! We use crockpot chicken a lot of tacos or fajitas and then have it as nachos on the second night. Yummy!

    Jamie @ www.mamamommymom.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great ways to repurpose leftover chicken!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love fajitas, they are one of my favorites. Great that you included a recipe for leftovers!

    You can only do what you feel is right with your kids, good for you for going with your heart!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Everything looks soooo yummy! I can't wait to try your enchilada sauce! YUMMMMMMMMMMm! Happy #SundaySupper

    ReplyDelete
  26. That is a great recipe and it was nice hearing about your experience home schooling also :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. We just started homeschooling this year - my son started kindergarten and we know its the right decision for us, too. We also love enchiladas, and I can't wait to try these!

    ReplyDelete
  28. These look very nice! This #SundaySupper has kept me hungry all day!

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear what you have to say! Please leave us a comment below!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Print Friendly and PDFPrint Friendly and PDFPrint Friendly and PDF